Sunday, May 27, 2007

Yet Another Reason Why Politicans And Sports Don't Mix

They're all the worst sort of mainstream, casual fan.

On Sunday, he explained further: "I've always been a Red Sox fan. But I said if I weren't running for president, I would like to be No. 7 — Mickey Mantle — playing center field for the New York Yankees.

"My favorite team has always been the Red Sox. I'm a Red Sox fan. End of session," he said." But, he added, "I'm also a Yankees fan."

After declaring his allegiance to both the Red Sox and the Yankees, Richardson joked: "This is the thing about me: I can bring people together. I can unify ... "



pandering asshole

I don't understand why politicians think they can get away with this crap. I hate the Yankees and Red Sox, and I'm angry with myself for contributing to any sort of discussion that focuses on The Two Teams In Baseball, but, seriously. Bill Richardson. What. The. Hell.

You just can't do this.

Especially these two teams. On the list of stupid things casual sports fans do, pulling the whole "I like BOTH rivals" nonsense ranks just behind realizing they've been lifetime fans miraculously at the same time that a given team experiences success and right ahead of every time they pull that, " That (Player X) guy (who is unfailingly like the best player on the team) is pretty great, how'd we get him again?"

Politicians, of course, are the worst sort when it comes to this, and Bill Richardson's display of casual fandom is just disgusting. It smacks of painfully typical politicking. "LOOK, I CAN APPEAL TO EVERYONE HEH HEH HEH" Shut the fuck up Bill Richardson and tell us your stance on gun control or something.

It's even worse that it's the Yankees and Red Sox. I mean when the mayor of Chicago proclaims he likes the White Sox and Cubs equally when they're playing because you can tell he doesn't give a shit about baseball and doesn't want to be bothered by it, you can let that slide. But for the governor of New Mexico, of all places, to proclaim both Yankees and Red Sox fandom is just entirely ridiculous. You can't do that. You just can't pick the two best teams in the league and then gleefully sing your love for both of them. Screw you if you think you can.

No comments: