Tuesday, May 08, 2007

I Don't Want To Hear It, Eric Chavez

Well, at least now we know Eric Chavez won't let things like "reasonable expectations" get him down.

Look, normally I like to hear this kind of stuff out of a baseball player. God knows it'd do A-Rod well to take a similar approach.

The difference, though, between A-Rod and Eric Chavez, is that A-Rod hits well, while Eric Chavez hasn't had an OPS above .800 since 2004.

"I'm fine with the criticism. There have been times I've been disappointed about it, because in your own town, you want people to approve of what you're doing on the field and we've had some pretty great teams. But I understand that criticism comes with the game, and it's a small price to pay for the luxuries we enjoy."

"I've come to grips with it. I'm a pretty darn good player."


Where's the fire there? Where's the hunger? Why, Eric, are you fucking pleased with your .236/.291/.390 line so far? That's not "pretty darn good," Eric. That's "fucking terrible." Especially when you consider that you're making 11 million dollars a season to be the cornerstone not only of our offense, but our entire franchise. We chose you over Miguel Tejada.


.236/.291/.390. but don't worry, it's cool.

And I know you can't just magically be better. That's now what I'm asking. What irks me is that you don't give a shit. At least man up to it and say, "No, I'm not producing at the level I'm expected to. I understand why people are upset with my production and I'm going to do everything humanly possible to be the best hitter I can be. It bothers me that I'm not hitting at a level I can hit at."

That's all I ask.


Also, Slusser,

Chavez is hitting .236 with three homers and 15 RBIs (he's tied for second on the team in the last two categories).



The way you framed that. Hilarious. Bravo. Tied for second on the team in homers and RBI! Fantastic!.

No comments: